Sunday, August 19, 2007




We Lose a Talented Man






Michael Deaver, one of the initial troika of Ronald Reagan's Chiefs of Staff, passed away from pancreatic cancer yesterday. Deaver was Reagan's closest confidant and a magnificent aide to a magnificent president. He was convicted of perjury relating to his lobbying activities after leaving the white house. But whatever Deaver's sins were, they were minor compared with subsequent activities of the Clintons and members of their administration. I wish I had a dime for every time a Clinton aide said something like "I don't remember" when testifying under oath.




Pancreatic cancer is an almost certain death sentence. I lost one of my best friends, the brilliant economist Byron Chapman, last year to pancreatic cancer. Byron was a staunch libertarian and believer in free markets and free people. He was outspoken in his views and never minced words. He could be absolutely exasperating at times, yet one would be hard-pressed to find a more sincere, loyal friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Byron was an independent thinker, and he thought about a lot of things. A true intellectual, he thought about topics of international importance and everyday things. I remember conversations where he told me about his experiments in grilling: setting the temperature, turn time, turning pattern, etc. He wouldn't approve of me saying "God bless you, Byron" but I'll say it anyway.


David M. Brasington