I always smirk or even BOL when I hear about the 'scientific consensus' concerning global warming. Now there is a new study published that finds no increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide
To assess whether the airborne fraction is indeed increasing, Wolfgang Knorr of the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Bristol reanalyzed available atmospheric carbon dioxide and emissions data since 1850 and considers the uncertainties in the data.
In contradiction to some recent studies, he finds that the airborne fraction of carbon dioxide has not increased either during the past 150 years or during the most recent five decades.
The research is published in Geophysical Research Letters.
Here is a brief list of what science does NOT know about the entire global warming theory:
1. It is not known if burning fossil fuels actually increases the equilibrium amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is quite likely that most of it is absorbed in the oceans.
2. It is not known if an increase in the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will increase temperatures. One thing we know for sure is that the earth radiates out into space just as much energy as it receives from the sun.
3. There is no trend in the increase nor decrease of polar ice coverage. There is a regular cycle of freezing in the winter and melting in the summer.
4. There has been no increase in the number or severity of tornadoes or hurricanes.
5. There is no decrease in the polar bear populations
6. There is no evidence that there has been any significant increase in atmospheric or oceanic temperatures over the past century.