Sunday, January 27, 2008

Anybody Want to Talk Shotguns?


I own three. Each has its pros and cons. Here are my experiences with each.






Pumps:

For many years, my only gun was a Remington 870 Express, 12 gauge pump. It is difficult to beat such a gun in terms of price and reliability. If your budget is limited, one of these may be your best purchase.


My Remington has never jammed or misfired. Cleaning it is easy and it doesn't need much cleaning.

Another advantage is the ability to hold three shells for migratory birds, and five for upland game.


But it does have its disadvantages. This gun is heavy and not well-balanced. Thus, carrying it for a long time can be painful.


And of course, you have to shuck your pump after each round is fired. If you hunt with nothing but a pump, shucking becomes second nature. But I have found that if I switch between my pump and other types, I often forget to shuck it during the excitement of a flushed bird. Also, shucking can be difficult when you are seated or in a confined area such as a duck blind.






Semiautos:

The second gun I purchased was a 20 gauge Browning Gold Hunter. It is a sweet, well-handling gun made with beautiful walnut. This remains my primary hunting gun to this day.

I can get this gun up and swinging through the bird faster than either of my other guns. That's important when you hunt over flushing dogs, as I do. Of course, part of the reason for that is because it is a lighter 20 gauge. More about the 20 vs 12 gauge decision later.

Like my pump, this gun can hold three shells for migratory birds and five for upland game. And best of all, I don't have to shuck it. This is an advantage when hunting in a seated position or in a duck blind. It also makes it easy to switch between this gun and my O/U, since I don't have to remember to shuck.

Another advantage is the recoil. Gas-powered semiautos like the Browning have much lower recoil. It also helps that it is a 20 gauge. I have fired recoil-operated semiautos and have found that they kick just as bad as a double.

Semiautos have big disadvantages. You got to keep them cleaned and lubricated. If not, they will jam and you will miss that pheasant or duck. Disassembling them to clean them is a pain. Last year, I had to replace the piston, after only five years of shooting the gun.

Yet another problem is cold weather. If the temperature drops below 20F, a semiauto will often refuse to cycle, turning it into a single shot. For that reason, I always bring my O/U with me as a backup.

Still, even with all those problem, the Browning is my main hunting gun and I am very pleased with it.



Over and Under Doubles


Last year I bought a Weatherby Orion 12 gauge. It is a very basic O/U. No fancy engraving, but I like it that way. It weighs about the same as my Remington pump, but is much better balanced, so I can carry it longer.

Advantages: Never a problem with jamming. Every time you pull the trigger, it goes BOOM! Very easy to clean. Having two barrels means you can have two different chokes. I usually have improved cylinder and modified chokes. That can be handy when a bird is flying away from you. But often a flushing dog will knock a bird back towards you, which defeats the purpose. My gun does have a barrel selector, but it is on the trigger and I don't feel confident about using it, nor would I usually have the time to do so during the excitement of a flush.

Don't have to shuck it. Don't have to worry about cold weather.

Disadvantage: Only two shots. Kicks like a mule.



Side by Side Doubles:

I don't own one. And I have only limited experience shooting them. But some people definitely love them.


Summary:

Each type of gun has its pros and cons. Dove and duck hunters seem to prefer pumps and semiautos, whereas upland hunters seem to prefer doubles. I like the combination of my Browning semiauto as the main gun with the Weatherby O/U as the backup.


What gauge?

I have very little experience with 10, 16, 28, or .410. I think the big disadvantage of these odd gauges is the small variety of factory-loaded shells available.


For me, 20 gauge does almost everything I need. I do just as well with my 20 gauge on big birds like pheasant and duck as I do with my 12 gauge guns. There are somewhat more variety of factory loaded shells available for 12 gauge, but its not a big advantage. My main beef is I am unable to find target loads in # 7 1/2 for 20 gauge shells.

I think geese and turkey definitely need a 12 gauge. So do deer if you hunt them with a shotgun. But I seldom hunt any of these.


For me, a 20 gauge has some big advantages. Lighter and easier to carry. Easier to get up and swinging through the bird when you have a flush. Easier on the shoulder and easier on the ears.

All these choices to make. If only life were so simple as picking the right gun.











No comments: