Friday, December 21, 2007


Greensburg Kansas is Rebuilding


I went hunting near Greensburg, Kansas earlier this week. This is the town that was leveled by a 1 1/2 mile-wide F5 tornado last may. The town was almost completely demolished except for the grain elevator and the county courthouse. Here are two 12 inch steel beams near what used to be a Pizza Hut that were bent by the wind.
I saw a great deal of debris such as pieces of insulation and roof shingles out in the fields where I was hunting, up to several miles away.
But the good news is the people of Greensburg haven't given up and the town is being rebuilt. I always liked how friendly and welcoming the people of the town have been towards out of state hunters. And now that I see their grit and determination in the face of tragedy, my admiration for them has no limits.

No comments: