Sunday, January 07, 2007


A Play that You Have Got to See
While in Chicago, Angie and I went to see Hizzoner, a play about the first Mayor Daley. It will be running through March. If you are in Chicago, DON'T MISS IT.
The play is written by Neil Giuntoli, who also plays the part of Daley. His acting is superb. Giuntoli makes the character of Daley come to life. The play concerns many of the most controversial incidents during Daley's administration, including the 1968 Democrat convention and the race riots of that same year. There is also considerable mention of the corruption that plagued his political machine.
I was quite young when Daley was mayor of Chicago, so most of my information about the man is second-hand. If I had been an adult living in Chicago during that time, I doubt that I would have voted for him, and probably would have disagreed with him on most of the issues.
But I will say this for Daley: He was real person, totally different from the politicians of today. He was not afraid to speak his mind and he made no attempt to try to hide his shortcomings. I think that was what endeared him to the voters of Chicago.

No comments: