Thursday, November 01, 2007

Death of an American Hero

Paul Tibbets, the pilot of Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped the nuclear weapon on Hiroshima, Japan in 1945, has passed away:


I’ve got a standard answer on that,” he informed me. “I felt nothing about it….I couldn’t worry about the people getting burned up down there on the ground. …This wasn’t anything personal as far as I’m concerned , so I had no personal part in it….It wasn’t my decision to make morally, one way or another…I did what I was told -- it was a success as far as I was concerned, and that’s where I’ve left it…I can assure you that I can sleep just as peacefully at night as anybody can sleep….”In fact, he said, President Truman had instructed him not to lose any sleep over it at a meeting at the White House after the bombing.

What Tibbets and his crew did was to save hundreds of thousands of lives. A US invasion of Japan would have been a bloodbath.

On many occasions, I have heard some of the liars on the left claim that Japan had already surrendered prior to the nuclear strike on Hiroshima. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Japanese proposed a cease fire, they did not offer to surrender until after we nuked both Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and then only when Truman agreed to allow Japanese Emporer Hirohito to remain as emporer, albeit only as a figurehead.




No comments: